While summertime in Stephenville can mean fun in the water, authorities are advising local swimmers, wake boarders and water skiers to be wary of a deadly amoeba that can cause a fatal brain infection.
Primary Amoebic Meningoencephalitis, or PAM, is described as a â€śbrain-eating parasiteâ€ť that is caused by water-born amoeba. It is commonly found in bodies of fresh water such as rivers and lakes.
The infection has caused eight deaths in Texas since 2005.
In 2010, the PAM brain infection caused the death of 7-year-old Kyle Lewis, who had been swimming at Dinosaur Valley State Park.
His parents established the Kyle Lewis Amoeba Awareness Foundation, educating families about the potential danger of this silent killer.
Source: Local News